I’m concerned about the closure of Abbeyfield Shandford care home in Budleigh Salterton. I’ve written to the Chief Executive of The Abbeyfield Society and hope to have an update for residents soon.
David McCullough, Chief Executive, The Abbeyfield Society, St Peter’s House, 2 Bricket Road, St Albans, Hertfordshire, AL1 3JW
30th January 2020
Dear Mr McCullough,
I am writing to you regarding the planned closure of the Abbeyfield Shandford residential care home in Budleigh Salterton in April 2020.
Further to a meeting held at the care home yesterday, the relatives of several residents have contacted me to express serious concerns over why the care home is closing, how this is being communicated, and the impact on residents’ wellbeing as they are moved to another care home.
I appreciate the need for you to make financial decisions based on the home’s infrastructure and building condition, particularly on ensuring adequate room size for residents.
However, I have spoken to relatives and families who are deeply distressed that their loved ones will be moved out of what they all agreed is a wonderful home. They believe the decision to close the care home lacks transparency and risks the safety of residents with serious conditions such as severe dementia.
I would appreciate if you could respond with further information on the following points:
- Whether you will publish your financial assessment of the necessary renovation work?
- Whether staff have had to sign non-disclosure agreements which prevent them from communicating with residents and their relatives?
- What steps you will take to guarantee the safety and security of moving current residents to other local care homes?
- When you will know to which care homes residents will be transferred?
- Whether funds made available through wills of former residents left with the Carr-Gomm Society could be used to make necessary improvements to keep the facility open or transferred to trustee/community enterprise management?
I would welcome the opportunity to meet with you at the earliest opportunity to gain a further understanding of how you will be supporting the residents and their relatives over the coming months.
I look forward to hearing from you.
SIMON JUPP MP
MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT FOR EAST DEVON